Thursday, April 29, 2010

just Ava and her random thoughts and words

Ava: Mom, I'm gonna get married when I get big.
Me: Oh yeah. Why?
Ava: Because, I'm just gonna.
Me: Oh. Okay.
Ava: I told daddy that I was gonna get married to Aedan when I get big.
Me: What did daddy say?
Ava: He said, "I don't like Aedan", but I'm still gonna marry him when I'm thirty.
Me: Okay, when your thirty?
Ava: Ya, daddy said when I'm thirty I can get married.
Me: Well that sounds great. You just have to make sure the person you are gonna marry is nice, helpful, fun, and makes you happy.
Ava: Yes. Aedan does because he's nice and he plays with me every day on the playground, so I get happy...except when he pushes me down and throws sand at me.
Me: Oh, that's not nice to do that!
Ava: He won't do that when we are thirty.
Me: :-) sigh :-)

Same day a little later...
Adam is crying and Ava is getting annoyed.
Ava: ADAM STOP!!!
Adam: waaaaaaaaa...
Ava: Adam, shut your butt!
Me: Ava, what did you say? That's so ugly.
Ava: Mom. He's so getting to annoy me.
Me: Well, you use kind words. Do you hear me?
Ava: Yes I do. You are hurting my ears because you are yelling.
Me: I'm not yelling Ava, I'm telling you in a firm voice.
Ava: Oh...
Me: What do you need to do next time if Adam is bothering you?
Ava: Not tell him to shut his butt.
Me: Right, that's not nice to say. What can you say?
Ava: Adam, you shut...(interrupted by me)
Me: No, we don't say shut anything.
Ava: But you say shut your mouth, mom.
Me: (thinking to myself--do I really say that?)
Ava: (looking at me for some sort of reaction)
Me: Well if I do, I'm sorry. We can say, Please be quiet or turn your voice down, or ...
Ava: Can we say, Adam be quiet or stop it?
Me: Sure. Just be nicer about it okay?
Ava: Ya, but sometimes he doesn't listen.
Me: I know but he's a baby and you have to teach him how to be nice because you are his big sister.
Ava: Ok.

Later in the day...
Ava and Adam are playing and I'm putting clothes away. I hear a crash and a cry from Adam.

Me: What happened Ava?
Ava: Nothing.
Me: What happened, why is he crying?
Ava: Oh...um...I pushed him.
Then she starts jumping up and down smiling.
Ava: I didn't lie to you! I told you the truth!
Me: (how do I punish her when she is so happy that she was honest...this is something we've been working on...stay strong..)
Me: Well, you know that it's not nice to push. Adam gets so sad and his feelings get hurt when you push him. Do you know that?
Ava: yes, but I told you the truth.
Me: I know. I'm very proud of you for that. Thank you for being so honest, but you pushed him, and that hurts. So, you need to go sit in the corner and think about what you are gonna do next time.
Ava: ok...
4 minutes later
Me: come tell me what you are gonna do next time.
Ava: I'm not gonna push him, but if I do I will still tell you. I should be honest
Me: sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment